Each lease negotiation has its own characteristics as determined by the property type and parties involved, but the overall process can be generally compartmentalized into phases. Some occur in sequence, while other steps in the process will overlap. The phases typically are ;
- Research the company
- User needs analysis.
- Market research, including physical tours of buildings.
- Tenant RFPs, including initial space plans for promising buildings.
- Landlord proposals.
- Proposal comparison and analysis.
- Proposal and counterproposal.
- Proposal acceptance and lease generation.
- Lease document negotiation and execution.